Look at the following images [original art by moi] and choose a) Yuppy or b) Hipster
Trying to talk to your Mellenial child has been a challenge: incomprehensible language exchanges that end up frustration on both sides. In fact, it could use its own Glossary, if not dictionary... to avoid confusion by either side or miscommunication that can escalate into squabbles.
I will attempt to help avoid unnecessary drama, compounded by stress of the “Holiday Season” [ in itself the word is meant to conjure the imagination recalling where the spirit nestles around you with a warmth only matched by blowing out your birthday candles bring] by offering my own perspective and advice or hints:
By the time I really got to numbers, demographics is my thing. As a real Yuppy from the 80s, I doubt we were consciously trying to create a pop culture off the big wave off our elder siblings leaving a big wake.
I tried really hard to differentiate between “chongo” and “chatchies” [see: can’t even spell it].
Basically, they were the Junior High version of Yuppy or Hipster ... but there were still versions of
Hoods or Greasers or Gangsters
That depends on what demographic you fall under. However, could be more related by recognition and familiarity. Otherwise considered influence >> that’s not the same word that moved from an adjective (description) to a noun (name or thing).
Today’s interpretation by Hipster Millennials of “influence” is considered an occupation [when you get paid] and, for some, more like a preoccupation [traps most conscious thoughts on one object or imagination].
You are a Yuppy if:
* you were born in the 1960s and hit your 20s in the 1980s [ the right age group]
* you were the original Hipsters [ you set a uniquely desirable style]
* you were told you could make change and be a game changer
* you were focussed on an education AND your career
* you believed that you were that Young Upperly Professional Personality and more
* you were the generation that created sayings like ME FIRST
* you created the unique hairstyle “mullet”
* you were raised by fear of authority, following rules, abiding the law and using your manners
* you were given a lot of freedom [be home by dark]
* you understood what was expected of you: honesty, loyalty, going to school, using your manners, doing your chores and getting a job regardless of what it is
* you are driven by the pursuit of money, prestige, recognition, award, reward and advancement
* education was at the core of your knowledge while experience navigates to success, hard work was at the beginning and ending of all achievements
* you shaved: period. [Regardless of age or gender]
* is proud of a beard
* the beard is symbolic and identifiable cultural fashion trend
* your parents are likely Yuppies
To be continued.....