Monday, January 20, 2020

REALITY bites some times

Original art (c) Jeannette Marshall
No reproduction permitted.
Sharing allowed by tagging the artist.

The following is an email to someone who I'd been in touch with to review finances and see if there were any fine tunes I'd missed from a fresh set of eyes.

I'm posting it, however jumbled it may sound because perhaps by sharing our challenges, we can learn something new or shed light for others yet to encounter the same things.


Thanks Dallin,

If anything, going through this helps every time.

It allows me to assess our current situation and speak to those in the know, it allows me to communicate the scenario, the situation that we're in and the options that I've looked into.

As mentioned, I had been going through this with Sarah Hollingsworth, Social Worker with Tom Baker Cancer Center October, November 2019.

We approached Alberta Works twice - once they were exceptionally awesome, our second experience horrible - the supervisor stopped getting back to me back in December with a time for us to meet with her - I'd confirmed a response to her that we'd be willing to meet to review our feedback based on our unique experience.
I have it on my "TO DO" as far as taking it up the chain to hold her accountable for not getting back to me, never mind schedule as email chain.

In December, The Tom Baker Cancer Clinic's SocioPhychoOnchology department nominated me for "Gift of Hope".  I got a number of gift cards, the grocery one from Loblaws was used up immediately since Christmas was soon upon us.

A few months ago I cancelled cable TV, renegotiated unlimited data to $50 a month from $85 per month -- if you don't ask, they won't tell you.  I quoted, at the time, Freedom's cell for UNLTD data and ULTD Canada calling for $50 a month.  Going without a cell phone was a hardship, especially when I went for Radiation Treatment or Job Interviews:  which included one job interview within a couple of hours of finishing treatment.  I can't say I was looking my best at 58 years old, but my optimism wanted to believe that people would amazed at that.  I only told one interviewer.  Probably frightened her because I have excess energy when I was trying to be at my best.

We had our basement flood a year ago this time because the home builder, Cardel Homes, only put in plastic tubing from the outside tap to the inside walls in the 1990s when it was built.  If this were the US, we'd be in court already behind a class action suit of consumers holding corporations or companies accountable.

I quit Telus after being let go, after following the proper protocol of reporting sexually harassment from a supervisor.  The following harassment in the form of bullying from department supervisors and managers was a cultural toxicity in a call center environment.  As I mentioned, at that time, I had just come from being a senior project manager at HP (Hewlett-Packard) being responsible for up to 15 projects a month, one equaling $14 million just as an example.  Before that, I was a branch operations manager for a local business that is run by a pretty boy who inherited the business from daddy.  He decided he didn't need me when the CEO of TransCanada Pipelines asked him to hire his brother, who had been laid off as a GM of a car dealership.  That's a long story.

I got a year of unemployment benefits from paying into Unemployment Insurance for years, not including employers' contributions.

Then my husband had a brain aneurysm in February 2018 and the whole world stood still.

He was saved by Foothills Center having the preeminent neurosurgeons in the world!  Dr. Midtha

An example of how our country has been built on the backs of immigrants like our parents and our kids friend's parents, colleagues, associates.

After about 6-8 weeks coma, he graduated to the 2nd level recovery unit.  From there he was accepted into the recovery care of Dr. Li Pi Chan, who is a highly regarded recoverist.  We saw him just a week ago.  They like following Rob because his amazing recovery strength is something they can make an impact with so that others benefit.

While he was at this unit, the Social Worker assisted me with filling out the application for Caregiver Benefits from the Canadian Government.

Rejection.  Six or 8 weeks later:  Caregiver Benefits is not an extension of Unemployment Insurance Benefits.

PLAINLY:  as I had just received the year's worth of UIC benefits, and even though one situation (Caregiver) and another (unemployed) were completely different circumstances, it overlaps in the bureaucracy of government.

After going through a whole bunch of advice and making dozens of calls, I put the call into you.

As far as the tax clinic goes, already signed up and heard back that we were next on the waiting list based on a cancellation and someone before us has to decline.

That's a lot of information to swallow, I know.

It is going to be a testament of your magic to see us at the other end of the long, dark tunnel.

Sincerely,
Jeannette

Reading this myself I'm wondering why the government hasn't seen this glitch?  Surely, someone knows that there is such a glitch?

No comments:

Post a Comment