Monday, December 23, 2019

Square pegs don't belong in round holes




ref:  article from HBR 

"A clean desk
is the sign of
a sick mind."
~Albert Einstein
Fact check

My commentary on the following article from HBR 

When I was at my peak performance in sales:  winning awards ..... my desk was a big huge blob of paper.

When I became a leader, I kept my desk sparse and turned off all devices when someone came to me with a problem.

When I took a job to pay the bills:  I ensured I was surrounded by art:  art of beaches, boats or light- hearted sayings to keep me motivated.

People need to stop trying to be a square peg in a round hole.  You are you and your desk habits are your own: 

* pristine (conveys no nonsense efficiency)
* cluttered paper bomb (disorganized scatter head)
* lively & personal (keeping things light & disassociate from surroundings)

When, in fact:

* spotless can mean you are organized and efficient
* a MESS says: whatever you're doing is more important
* tasteful art and super slogans means you are balanced

NOTE:  I am not a doctor, educated in human behavior, nor am I a psychologist.  This is my own take.

Art by Jeannette Marshall (c) 2019
Michael McCool - the sales guy

No comments:

Post a Comment